National BIM Standard for Precast Concrete, Phase Three
Georgia Tech Research Corporation
Building Information Models (BIM)
January 2012 - July 2013
Professor Charles Eastman
Jason P. Lien, P.E., FPCI, EnCon Design, LLC; Chair, PCI BIM Committee
National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS),
Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI)
This phase of work will complete the initial full implementation of the National BIM Standard for Precast Concrete. It follows on the completion of the first two phases of NBIMS development by Georgia Tech and the PCI BIM Committee, carried out during 2008-2011 and reported elsewhere on the CPF website. The Phase 3 work will accomplish:
1. Develop, through test models and a broadened range of software companies’ support, the complete implementation of the Precast Concrete National BIM Standard.
2. Validate the implementation procedures previously demonstrated, logically modularizing the implementation using Semantic Exchange Modules (SEMs) to support unique exchange needs.
3. Submit the IDM and MVD implementation to buildingSMART Americas for balloting and approval.
4. Prepare test materials to support certification testing to be carried out by the software companies.
1. Documentation, guidelines, test files and support materials for the PCI Committee Days and the PCI Convention staging demonstrations, and reports of each staging demonstration, its successes and shortcomings.
2. The Draft Final Report, describing the completion of the PCI specification and its associated SEMs; the status of implementation by various software companies; the status of testing for certification undertaken by software companies, and a summary of the status of buildingSMART review and approval of the Precast Concrete NBIMS.
3. The Final Report summarizing the completion of the project.